UNSOLICITED EXHIBITION PROGRAM
apexart’s Unsolicited Exhibition Program is a call for idea-driven, group exhibition proposals from anyone, anywhere. Winning proposals are selected via a democratic selection process where an international jury composed of people from diverse professional backgrounds votes on which exhibitions will be presented at apexart. The focus is on creativity and the strength of the idea, not on an individual's CV or past accomplishments. To that end, apexart removes submitters' names, biographical information, and any supporting links from proposals so that the jury only votes on the text that describes the exhibition idea. Started in 1998, the Unsolicited Exhibition Program is open to anyone from anywhere in the world. Submit your idea in 500 words or less between October 1 - 31, 2016 to be considered for an exhibition in our 2017-18 Exhibition Season.
2016-17 WINNING EXHIBITIONS
|Botany Under Influence|
submitted by: Clelia Coussonnet
(from Aix-en-Provence, France)
Botany Under Influence explores systems of meaning that have been impressed upon nature, flora, and seeds throughout eras of imperialism, colonialism, and globalization. The exhibition reveals how the exportation of natural resources has affected power structures and cultural behavior.
|Promises to Keep|
submitted by: Rabbya Naseer
(from Lahore, Pakistan)
Promises to Keep confronts the rarity with which performance art is exhibited in Naseer’s native Pakistan. She presents the work of ten female Pakistani artists, addressing how women specifically use the medium to engage in self-representation and socio-political issues.
submitted by: Emily Falvey
(from Montreal, Canada)
Animal Intent tracks how animal culture is used as a point of departure for a range of artistic practices focused primarily on interspecies communication. The exhibition questions whether creative labor is strictly a human trait.
|SUBMIT: OCT 1 - 31, 2016
- apexart's Unsolicited Exhibition Program is an opportunity for anyone, from anywhere, to submit a proposal for an idea-based exhibition to be presented at apexart.
- Submit a 500-word essay describing your exhibition idea.
- Three winning proposals will be presented at apexart in New York City as part of our 2016-17 season.
|THE SELECTION PROCESS
- apexart assembles an international jury of 150 individuals from all backgrounds.
- Jurors vote online and can only see the text of the proposal; curator names and any biographical information or links are removed.
- apexart’s custom-made crowdsourcing PHP script ensures that each proposal is read the same number of times, though by different jurors and in a different order.
- Our php script aggregates all votes, determining the three proposals with the highest scores.
- Winners receive a budget, curatorial honorarium, and administrative support to mount their exhibitions at apexart in NYC.
Full list of FAQs
- No previous experience required.
- Exhibitions must include the work of at least three artists.
- apexart provides a budget of up to $6,000 for travel, shipping, artist honorariums, and installation expenses.
- Please note that apexart is not a funding organization and exhibitions are part of apexart's regular programming.
- Artists do not need to be confirmed before you apply.
- $2,000 honorarium is provided to curator(s) at the end of the exhibition.
apexart began the Unsolicited Exhibition Program in 1998 to create an opportunity for creative individuals from any field, background, and location, to organize group exhibitions focused on strong ideas.
Find out more about apexart Exhibitions
Some winning Unsolicited Exhibition Program exhibitions have covered the following topics: